Problem with creating or relating to an object record

Hi guys, it might be better if I showed you the problem and what I’ve been trying but here’s the issue :
I import records into an object
On create of the record it is to do 1 of 2 things
Either create a record on a second object, if that record does not exist Populating a couple of fields
Or If the record exists on the second object, create a relationship to said record

I would have thought this to be quite straightforward, and maybe I’m just missing something fundamental.
I’m scratching my head on this one, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Hi @BobBoland_Ecliptic

Apologies for the late reply. If you are still having this issue my advice would be for you to raise a build advice support ticket with our support team by emailing them at support@netcall.com

Someone will then have a look at this, and provide appropriate support.

If you have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact us here at the community.

Thank you,

Lisa :slight_smile:

Afternoon Bob,

Apologies for the delay in replying, I missed your original post.

I would tackle this by first creating a relationship between the import object and the secondary object.
This sounds like a one to one would be appropriate.

Next I would look to try and create a relationship to a related record in the secondary object on record creation.

To do this create a rule against the import object with a trigger of record created (if there is no matching as part of the import, i.e. all imports are guaranteed unique.)

The rule response will be ‘Add Relations by Matching’, select the relationship one - to - one that will occur. And then set the Field and Match to Field to whatever id creates the relationship.

Now you are hopefully in a situation where some records will match and relate and others that do not yet exists will not.

You can now create a subset for your unrelated imports with your import object as the base object. Your predefined filter will be where the id of the record across your relationship is null. i.e. No related record exists.

Once this is complete you will now have a subset to which you can hang another rule off.
You can create a rule to fire when an import record is added to that subset. The response will be then to ‘Copy field values’.

I hope this helps, and apologies again for the delay.
Let us know how you get on, or if you managed to solve it another way in the interim.

Thanks for the response Adam. I got round it by using variables to hold fields that would change the batch, if any of the fields that may change the batch are are equal to the variables, I relate to that batch, if any of the fields differ from the variables, I create a new batch and update the variables from the input record. Cheers.