Migrating data from Production

I am currently looking at refreshing the data within a test environment with data from production in order to perform testing with meaning full data.

Does anyone know a way of doing this within the platform?

Regards

Andy

Blockquote

Hi Andy,
I think are a couple of ways you can do this using the functionality available in the platform.

1. Create Export Files (Date Exchange -> Export File Types) from Prod and Import Files on Test. For simple data models this should be manageable. If the relationships between your objects are complex, you could lose relationships between records and may need to write rules to reinsert these.

2. Using Object Endpoint and Object Connections, you could create internal API calls to transfer the Prod data to your other environments. again, you may need to add rules to recreate some relationships.

Data cloning would be a really useful feature though, especially where a data model is complex and would requires a lot of Export Files / API Object endpoints.

Hi Andy,

The platform is designed to make it hard to (accidently) share production data with other environments. Indeed, when you set up an internal API connection or internal Object Connection, the platform automatically ensures that a production environment only exchanges data with other production environments. I trust the reasons for this design are obvious.

We do recognise that some objects hold fairly-constant, reference data that is inherently public and/or entirely appropriate to be absolutely consistent across environments. (We do have in mind to allow inclusion of this kind of data within snapshots one day, but this change is not yet scheduled.) For this type of data, I’d recommend preparing a spreadsheet of that data and using the platforms “Import” feature to import into each of your environments, as suggested by Craig.

You can use the Import to create all your test data but, depending on your data model, it can be a bit time-consuming setting up all the “Import file types” necessary.

One interesting new possibility in 10.4+ is to use Test Studio. Perhaps it is an abuse of its powers but, since it supports data-driven testing, you can use it to import many records by playing back a recording of form inputs for many rows of a CSV file.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The test driven functionality sounds interesting. When will 10.4 be available.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

So 10.4 is already released, however our next release is due Feb 2020 so it may make more sense for you to jump straight to that.