Double Click RPA File Fails To Open

One of our production bot machines now will not open an RPA file by double click the file, we get an error message saying that there was a fatal error. However if we open the Liberty RPA Studio, click open and browse to the same file it opens ok and you can work on it with no problem.

They are the same hardware, same OS (Win 10), same OS Version, same version of Liberty RPA. Has anyone else come across this?

Hi David,

Thanks for notifying us of this issue.

Could you please share with me:

• which version of Liberty RPA you are running? Please confirm from within the Control Panel > Add & Remove Software.
  • could you share a screenshot of the error you are receiving once you open the .rpa file by double-clicking it from the Windows Explorer?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Koen

Production 1 “Betty”: Liberty RPA 21.2.0 Error On Double Click (Image Loaded)
RPA_Error_20220316

Production 2 “Bonnie”: Liberty RPA 21.2.0 No Error

Sandbox “Sandy”: Liberty RPA 21.3.0 Error On Double Click (Same Image as Loaded Above)

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing the error. It’s strange that you can open up the Flow through the Studio, but not directly by double-clicking in Windows Explorer (which ultimately should do the same thing).

Could you try the following command from a Run dialog (Windows + R):

"C:\Program Files\Netcall\LibertyRPA\LibertyRPA.exe" studio edit "C:\Full\Path\To\Flow.json"

Please replace the “C:\Full\Path\To\Flow.json” with your Flow’s full path. You can get this value by shift-rightclicking your Flow and selecting “Copy as path” from the context menu. This is also assuming that LibertyRPA.exe is installed in the above mentioned location (which is the default).

This should open up your Flow directly in the Studio.

If the above works, most likely something went wrong during the installation process of Liberty RPA or after the installation of Liberty RPA the configured filetype association of the “.rpa” file was modified or overwritten with something/someone else.

The easiest way to identify if this is the case is by searching (CTRL+F) the Registry (you can access this by entering “regedit” in the Run prompt (Win+R) for “RPAFile” and/or “.rpa” references. Typically these entries should only exist in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subkeys, but most likely for this user there exist other subkeys in for example HKEY_CURRENT_USER (which have been made specifically for this user). Please be cautious in modifying the Registry as this might have undesirable effects to the functioning of the machine.

You can also run the final configuration step of the Setup again (which takes care of filetype associations) by running the following command in Run (Win+R):

"C:\Program Files\Netcall\LibertyRPA\LibertyRPA.exe" setup "LibertyRPA[yourcontroller_oncreate_app][bot_secret_key].msi"

Replace yourcontroller with your Netcall Controller’s subdomain and replace bot_secret_key with your Bot’s secret. You can also use the command as-is, but this will overwrite your settings which you can then adjust in the Liberty RPA Settings app (shortcut should be available on the desktop).

Finally, it might be considered as an option to uninstall Liberty RPA and reinstall it with the setup file which can be found within your Liberty Controller. Do keep in mind that you are currently not on the latest version. Prior to upgrading to the latest version within your production environment we advise to deploy and test your Flows with the latest version in a test environment.

I hope the above puts you in a position to restore the filetype association of the .rpa Flow files with the Liberty RPA Studio, if not happy to assist further.

Kind regards,
Koen

I was just about to run through the suggestions but to make it easier I moved one of the affected RPA files to a folder nearer the root. To be on the safe side to make sure the error still happened, it did not.

Looking at the differences between the stored directory and the temporary directory, the only significant difference was that the first had spaces in the folder path and the temporary one did not.

I removed all spaces in the folder path to the flows and the RPA files opened with a double click from Windows Explorer with no error.

Hi David,

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am happy that you found a workaround that works for you.

However, this does not sound like intended behaviour. While I was unable to replicate this, it might be a bug. Could you share the full path of the Flow you could not open (in case there’s no sensitive information inside)? You can also send it by e-mail to koen.vaneijk [at] netcall.com (replace the [at] with @). I would like to replicate the folder hierarchy in our test environment and see whether I can replicate the issue.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,
Koen